Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Monarch Laundry

5540 Preston Road  -  At Highland Park Shopping Village
"Decidedly Better"

Built in 1940 by Tom G. Leachman at the site now occupied by BankAmerica. Leachman's father had opened the first Monarch Laundry about 1890 but changed the name to Leachman's Laundry. Young Tom Leachman entered the business about 1907 and ran both the original laundry and this new one. He died in 1961 and the laundry passed into other hands. For a while it was called Holiday Laundry, but the building was eventually razed.

No comments:

Post a Comment